Behavioral Health Specialist
40 hours per week/full-time, non-exempt in Santa Barbara County, Supportive Services for Veterans Families and Safe Parking Program
Licensed or Registered Associate Behavioral Health Clinician to provide Behavioral health case management, and ongoing behavioral health supportive services to aid homeless, formerly homeless & housed individuals and veterans countywide who are struggling with mental health and/or behavioral problems and can also guide collaborative care with the team. The position requires that the behavioral health clinician be an empathetic and compassionate listener with solid boundaries.
Description of Assigned Duties and Responsibilities
- Screen and assess for psycho-social issues, as well as common mental health and substance use disorders to determine treatment needs
- Provide client education about common mental health and substance use disorders and available treatment options
- Support and closely coordinate mental health care with the client’s primary care provider and when appropriate, other treatment providers
- Monitor clients for (in person, in the home, on the phone) for changes in clinical symptoms and treatment side effects or complications
- Provide brief interventions using evidence-based techniques such as but not limited to Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Motivational Interviewing, etc.
- Create mental health and/or substance use treatment and services plans involving case managers, other team members, client & family as applicable to empower the client to achieve vocational, recreational daily living and interpersonal goals
- Provide services on site and in the community which may include individual, group and family as outlined in the treatment plan developed collaboratively with the client
- Collaborate with other community agencies such as but not limited to Cottage Hospital, Santa Barbara County Department of Behavioral Wellness, Child Welfare Services, Community Medical Clinic, Public Health & other medical providers, probation & the VA (with proper releases) to ensure the best possible outcomes
- Coordinate services with other organizations and programs to assure such services are complementary and comprehensive; directing activities to maximize effectiveness and continuity of care
- Record and enter relevant information, all interactions and services with and on behalf of the client into HMIS/other digital platforms within timelines set forth by agency policies and procedures
- Provide ongoing education and support as needed to the client and family members as applicable
- Facilitate internal or outside referrals to evidence-based behavioral health services as clinically indicated
- Adhere to ethical principles about confidentiality, informed consent, compliance and relevant laws and all agency policies and procedures
- Provide crisis intervention and de-escalate conflicts as needed
- Maintain client privacy by adhering to HIPAA Privacy Practices
- Responsible for attending all assigned internal and external meetings, ensured timely completion of training and accurately completion of time sheets
- Performs all related duties as assigned by program management
- Understands the different roles within the interdisciplinary team and acts with professional boundaries
Qualifications and Requirements
- Has working knowledge of evidence based psychosocial treatments and basic knowledge of psychopharmacology for common mental health disorders
- Licensure with the California Board of Behavioral Sciences as an LCSW, LPCC, LMFT or registration with the California Behavioral Sciences as an MFT Associate, Associate Social Worker or Associate Professional Clinical Counselor
- Possession of a master’s degree in social work, clinical counseling, psychology or family therapy from an accredited university
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience
- Bilingual a plus
- Experience working with homeless individuals and veterans is strongly preferred
- Must be proficient in the following computer applications – Microsoft Word and Excel, HMIS a plus
- Must successfully complete a background check and meet insurance carrier’s requirements for approval to drive
Salary is $70,000 – $80,000 annually DOE and credentials with medical and dental benefits provided, 403b contribution and matching, as well as generous paid time off. Position begins asap.
Send resume, cover letter and a list of three professional references to email@example.com. If we feel you are a good match for the position, you will be contacted to schedule an interview.
Much of the work will take place in the field countywide.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; ancestry; national origin; religion/creed; sex/sexual orientation; gender; gender identity/expression, transition; political affiliation or beliefs; disability, medical condition, generic information, marital status; military/veteran status; pregnancy and conditions related thereto.; or any other characteristic protected by law (as defined by the California Fair Employment and Housing Act — Government Code Section 12900-12996), except where such discrimination is based on a bona fide occupational qualification.