Housing Retention Specialist – Homeless Services
The Housing Retention Specialist for New Beginnings will engage, assess and assist eligible clients as referred by Coordinated Entry and our Safe Parking Program, by partnering with clients to build skills and access resources and support systems necessary to maintain their housing. The Housing Retention Specialist will meet with clients to provide supportive services and to promote housing retention, community integration, life skills, and improved health and wellness. Some people will be housed in north county and therefore, travel to and from north county is likely once per week.
- Facilitate the connection and enrollment of clients into eligible and applicable programs and resources;
- Support clients, collaboratively working with their landlords, neighbors, and existing case management services as needed in order for the client to thrive within their housing;
- Assist clients in relocating to more appropriate housing if needed;
- Strive to recognize the best in each client and to support the meaningful change they seek through building relationships and utilizing motivational interviewing techniques and strength based case management techniques;
- Provide client engagement by welcoming the client to their new community, addressing basic needs, establishing trust and assisting the client with understanding the services that are available to them;
- Meet with clients on a regularly scheduled basis and document growth and strength in progress notes and in HMIS;
- Provide home and field based services as appropriate and transport clients as needed to essential appointments that support their well-being;
- Assist client with navigating and abiding by their lease obligations;
- Support clients with learning and practicing fiscal responsibilities;
- Assist client with their physical and mental health needs by providing support and linkage to appropriate services; and
- Participate in client review meetings and provide input to community partners as appropriate.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Human Services or related field; and a minimum 1 year case management experience or related professional licensure or certification i.e.; LCSW, MFT, CADAC, LVN, LPT, etc.;
- Knowledge of HMIS and Housing First model preferred but not required;
- Experience with homeless, vulnerable and/or diverse population and the knowledge surrounding poverty and social factors involved;
- Ability to understand the needs of formerly homeless people with disabilities and to develop collaborative goals towards greater self-sufficiency and independence in the greater community;
- Respond to all persons in a calm, supportive and professional manner;
- Knowledgeable of the dynamics of chemical dependency, mental disorders and the effects of homelessness;
- Excellent verbal and written skills; and
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Suite, computer literacy and willingness to learn other applications.
Work hours are Monday – Friday, 9-5 although there will be some night time and weekend hours on occasion to attend community events and/or to manage any off-hour client crises that may arise. Case manager will share on-call responsibilities. Must have a working vehicle with liability insurance and pass a background check. Bi-lingual a plus but not required. Starting salary is $21 per hour with basic medical and dental benefits provided, as well as paid time off. Position begins asap.
Send resume, cover letter and a list of three professional references to email@example.com. If we feel you are a good match for the position, you will be contacted to schedule an interview.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, political affiliation or beliefs, sex, age, physical handicap, medical condition, marital status or pregnancy (as those terms are defined by the California Fair Employment and Housing Act — Government Code Section 12900-12996), except where such discrimination is based on a bona fide occupational qualification.